Wednesday, December 22

Roger Ebert's Films of 2004

I don't necessarily agree with him most of the time, but his analysis of films is usually very in-depth and respectable. His top ten:

1. Million Dollar Baby (I guess this is the must-see of the year)
2. Kill Bill: Volume 2 (I totally agree with this)
3. Vera Drake (I don't get Mike Leigh films)
4. Spider-Man 2 (OK)
5. Moolaade
6. The Aviator
7. Baadasssss!
8. Sideways
9. Hotel Rwanda
10. Undertow (this is a suprise - it stars Billy Elliot)

Special Jury Prize (15 films that were really good that aren't in the top 10)

The Assassination of Richard Nixon
Closer
The Dreamers (blech)
House of Flying Daggers
Kinsey
The Merchant of Venice
The Passion of the Christ (overrated)
The Polar Express
Ray
The Saddest Music in the World
Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow
The Terminal (suprise)
Touching the Void (a very watchable reenactment)
Twilight Samurai
When Will I Be Loved

Best Documentaries

The Argronomist
Aileen: Life and Death of a Serial Killer (frightening)
Fahrenheit 9/11
My Architect
Riding Giants (surfing docs are back!)
Tarnation (I need to see this)

Ebert's Worst Films of 2004:

1. Troy and Alexander (tie)
2. Christmas with the Kranks
3. The Girl Next Door
4. Dogville (totally agree)
5. New York Minute (who was expecting anything else)
6. The Grudge
7. White Chicks
8. Resident Evil: The Apocalypse
9. The Whole Ten Yards
10. The Village

I kind of think that worst lists shouldn't go for the obvious, but the films that tried really hard and really ended up being shitty (ie Alexander vs. White Chicks).

No comments: