Thursday, December 2

U2 Bomb the Charts

How to Dismantle an Atomic Bomb sold a whopping 840,000 albums in its first week of release! This is the fourth highest week of the year for any artist, only behind Usher, Norah Jones and Eminem (interesting company). It is also the highest debut ever for any band with a catalog the size of U2's, except for the Beatles.

I'm also suprised to learn that HTDAAB surpasses U2's previous bows in the SoundScan era: 2000's All That You Can't Leave Behind, No. 3 with 429,000
1997's Pop, No. 1 with 349,000
1993's Zooropa, No. 1 with 378,000
1991's Achtung Baby, No. 7 with 146,000

Achtung truly surprises me since it sold like a billion copies and was released during the peak U2 era.

I watched U2 Make A Video on MTV2 last night, and Larry is starting to look old. And Adam Clayton has gray hair. But they are still baddddassssses (go Mario Van Peebles!). And yes, I know all their names (even Bono and Edge's real names). I guess you could call me a fan. But hey, at least I know Eminem's real name, too.

No comments: