Sunday, March 13

KCRW Sounds Eclectic Concert

I had a great night at the Universal Amphitheatre last night. I saw three bands before Coldplay: Van Hunt, Cafe Tacuba and Paul Buchanan. Van Hunt was kind of like a band you would see perform at a wedding or prom. They were good, but I thought they were not very original. A lot of people liked them better than I did. Paul Buchanan was good, maybe drunk, but a good musician. It was very singer-songwriter-y which i totally dig.

Cafe Tacuba. Wow. I have never heard of them before. They are a "rock en espagnol" band from Mexico City and they blew me away. They are kind of a mix between System of a Down, Rush and Rage. I'm going to go buy all their CDs.

Coldplay. They played a few new songs. HEAVY guitar. I really really liked a few of them, and I'm anxious to hear them on the album. Chris Martin is really a great performer, with a really goofy sense of humor (he sang The Scientist backwards!). My favorite moment was one that most people probably didn't catch. They had large video screens projecting the various band members. At one point, the drummer peaked up at it behind him mid-song, saw Chris Martin on the screen, turned around and gave this look like, "Wow, I can't believe that I'm here." It was very real and probably proved what I have thought all along... these guys are really down to Earth and real. Coolness! Can't wait for the new album.

Also, men with mustaches should generally not dance.

No comments: