Wednesday, January 19

The Aviator

This is not the best film of 2004. Not by a long shot.

But it is a very solid movie, with some great acting, showy direction, an interesting story and script, and impressive production design. All the pieces came together. And in fact, I got home and immediately looked Howard Hughes, Ava Gardner and Kate Hepburn up on the internets. I wanted to learn more.

When I learned how much history and skill went into the actual filmmaking process (Martin Scorcese used color techniques from the 20s when the movie is set in the 20s, 30s for the 30s, and 40s technicolor for the 40s), I appreciated the film much more.

Leo, Cate Blanchette and Kate Beckinsale (who kind of blew me away in this movie) were all great. I especially liked the scene at the Hepburn's dinner table. Man, that family was full of odd ones.

It's definitely worth checking out, but I'm hoping it doesn't win Best Picture like everyone is predicting.

No comments: