Sunday, April 17

Ridiculous

I'm not Catholic, but I have been paying attention to the recent events occuring after Pope John Paul II's death. Today I was reading the paper and I see that they actually had a chart of "probable contenders", along with odds on each of them.

Completely disgusting! This is not a democratic process involving a public vote or having any sort of say in the matter. It's of no importance who the media thinks is in the running or who isn't. It isn't going to make a bit of difference and I really don't understand why the media is doing it. They even have reported that when Pope John Paul II was elected, it came as a surprise. Why would they think it would be any different today? All the conjecture by the press is just that – meaningless talk.

It's nice to be informed of and educated about the nomination/voting process but I really don't need to hear about probabilities and frankly, they don't matter anyhow.

No comments: