Friday, April 8

My friend Laura and her in-flight entertainment

From Laura:

I apologize for not bringing this story to your attention earlier, but it didn't cross my mind until Bridget suggested that I email it to the listserve.
So, last Wed. evening I headed to the Dayton Airport to catch a flight to Siesta Key, Florida (to visit my family). My first flight, to Atlanta, was delayed for an hour so I had a beer at the bar. My flight to Atlanta was fine, but my stomach was kind of queasy. Anyhow, since the flight was originally delayed, I had to run from one gate to the next to make my connecting flight, which sucked in the big ass Atlanta airport. I just made my connecting flight and settled into my seat by the window.

Well, throughout the flight my stomach wasn't feeling too great, but I knew it was a short flight and would be in florida in about an hour and a half. I looked in the pouch in the seat in front of me to see if they had a barf bag, just in case, but there wasn't one. I was confident that I would make it though. The plane was in its descent into Sarasota/Bradenton Airport, so I was confident I would make it off the plane and to a bathroom. Well, after some cold sweats and wanting to rip my clothes off because I was so hot, I started to vomit. I had my jean jacket on my lap, so I brought that up to my mouth to help catch my vomit. Instead, it acting like a shield and sprayed the vomit everywhere... including down my shirt, on the window, all over my carry-on bag and purse below, on my gym shoes and even on the arm rest on the seat in front of me. Some jackass sitting in front of me (who I DID NOT vomit on by the way) turns around and says, "Do you realize that you just barfed all over the seat in front of you?" Okay, jackass... like I did that on purpose. Luckily the plane was landing, so I waited for everyone to get off the plane, the stewardess helped me and then I went and found my dad and told him to get my bag while I sat outside because I smelled so bad. I was definitely in tears when it happened, but now I can laugh at it. I turns out that I had the flu, so my first days of my vacation were spent the floor of the condo bathroom, but I got better and eventually made it to the Daiquiri Deck. I hope my story brought some humor to your Friday afternoon.

No comments: