Friday, July 15

Three More Pilots

Commander In Chief

I really liked this one. It stars Geena Davis as the Independent Vice President in a Republican White House. The President has a stroke, and everyone (including her boss) asks her to resign so the Republican Speaker of the House (Donald Sutherland) can assume the Presidency. She agrees to this... until the President dies and she has a conversation with Mr. Speaker that doesn't go well. He's a power-hungry politician with only his own interests in mind. So she says, fuck it, I'm going to become the first female President.

Geena is very good. It reminded me a little (not a lot) of The West Wing... just because she's an idealist President and not a complete asshole. From what I can tell from the pilot, this show will focus more on the President's family. In fact, the funniest parts were when Geena's husband, now The First Lady, has to begin making arrangements for their new home. I'll have to see where the show goes, but the pilot is very good.

Reunion

I was looking forward to this show. Afterall, it's got a good premise. Six high school friends graduate, and each episode is the next year in their life. All leading to their 20 year reunion. Only problem: the show sucks. The stories are far-fetched to say the least. There was one plot, in particular, that bothered me to the point that I don't think I can watch it. It involves two friends in a car accident. The passenger is sober, the driver drunk. They hit another car. Instead of getting a DUI, he asks his sober friend to pretend he was driving. So they do, but then the cops tell them that the driver of the other car has died, and the sober friend ends up in jail. This seems to set up what will happen during the rest of the season, and I just didn't buy it. Especially the way it plays out. (Drunk guy's asshole lawyer dad has a big role in it.)

Emily's Reasons Why Not

Best romantic comedy I've seen in a while. It stars Heather Graham, who was so so funny on Scrubs, as a self-help writer and tries to apply her self-help knowledge to her own love life. There's not much to say other than the show has great writing and Heather has a quick wit. I laughed out loud several times. Season Pass it.

No comments: