Friday, July 22

Julia Roberts Draws Attention with Expired Tags

"Oscar-winning actress Julia Roberts shocked residents of Santa Monica, California when she was spotted driving through the coastal town with out of date license plates. The Erin Brockovich star, who owns a home in nearby Venice, ran various errands around Santa Monica yesterday, without her husband Danny Moder or their baby twins Hazel and Phinnaeus by her side. And while she could boast that she was doing her part for the environment by carrying out her chores in an eco-friendly silver Toyota Prius, onlookers couldn't help but notice that her plates clearly displayed an April 2005 expiry date. A local resident scoffs, "It's ridiculous! While I understand it's quite normal to be a few days late, three months is just crazy. If an everyday person with a 9-5 can remember to get it done within a timely fashion, a movie star with a staff to help remind her certainly should be able to." According to California law, a driver whose registration is expired by more than a month but less than a year is liable to pay an extra 60 per cent on top of the standard registration fee."

Yes, I was walking down the street last night and I spotted Julia Roberts driving in her Prius. I was so excited to see her, but mostly, I was interested in seeing her license plate. When I noticed that her tags were expired -- by THREE MONTHS -- I nearly fell down. I had to grab a parking meter just to keep my balance. Then I noticed that everyone else was getting out their binoculars, just to make sure what they thought they were seeing was correct. My God! Three months!

Seriously, is this a news story?

But it reminds me that my tags expire in about ten days. Thanks, Julia!

No comments: