Thursday, February 9

Grammies Hits and Misses

From the perspective of U2 fan Tassoula E. Kokkoris:

HIT
The impromptu, revival-like tribute to Coretta Scott-King led by Stevie Wonder and Alicia Keys. Though the camera crew could've spared us from a few of the bewildered looks in the audience, the sentiment was great and so was the sound. Stevie always hits the right notes.
MISS
The opening number. Oh, Madge. Where oh where is my beloved '80s pop icon? From the Barbarella poses to the Olivia Newton-John bodysuit to the anatomically correct animated figures looming behind her, I couldn't tell what age or species she wanted to be. The Gorillaz song is brilliant, the Madonna song is average at best and seeing her bony frame doing "the hustle" with dancers half her age made me long for the days when she would simply writhe around on the ground in wedding dresses.

HIT
The cut-to-the-chase pace of the award announcements. Presenters didn't plug their new album or promote their record label or sell boxes of Thin Mints, they got right to the point and did what they were there to do. Bless you writers, for being brief!
MISS
Coldplay, start to finish. Before I start, let me just say that I am a fan of theirs. I've seen them live twice and I own all of their albums. They're great musicians. But tonight wasn't their night. First, we saw a pointless interview where Chris Martin joked about his guitarist "doing his business" on national television, then we were held hostage for an excruciating performance of "Talk" featuring Martin flopping around the stage like a starved coyote. He lunged into the crowd a la Bono, touching a few extended hands, then ascended the aisles to seal his yes-I'm-applying-for-the-job routine once and for all. And what was even more annoying was the sudden white-boy 'fro he sported, complete with scruffy half-beard. Last time I checked Gillette hadn't violated any Fair Trade agreements. Get a razor, Chris. And a haircut.

HIT
U2's effortless performance of "Vertigo." Though I'm still puzzled as to why they played a song that won last year. Maybe "City of Blinding Lights" was too long since they had to make time for their Mary J. Blige duet? Whatever the reason, it still sounded good and Bono got to show Chris Martin the appropriate "lift your leg" rock-star-jiggle that he clearly should have patented. Kudos also to Jenna Elfman for leading the standing ovation for our boys, even before the song was over.
MISS
The out-of-control smoke machine that blocked our view of U2 in the middle of "Vertigo." It was so white there for a while, I thought CBS was cutting in with a Touched By An Angel promo. I'm also over the whole Mary J. Blige hijacking of "One." I didn't like the duet when I saw it first on the Hurricane Katrina relief concert, then I changed my mind when I saw it live at the Las Vegas U2 show. She really did rock the MGM Grand. But I'm back to disliking it, mostly because I'm hearing her in my head now when I think of the song. I never wanted that to happen.

HIT
The passion of Paul McCartney's drummer Abe Laboriel Jr. The performance of McCartney's current tune "Fine Line" was good, but when the former Beatle started in on "Helter Skelter," Laboriel lit up like a Christmas tree and stole the show. His energy, his smiles and his talent are an inspiration.
MISS
An American Idol beat a Beatle. I'll say no more.

HIT
Keith Urban's appearance. I won't pretend that I'm a fan of country music, but even a rock girl like myself can appreciate a good voice and an acoustic guitar. Keith Urban made use of both and gave a solid, impressive performance. Extra points for the absence of an obligatory cowboy hat.
MISS
Ridiculous pre-recorded heartfelt vignettes. I have absolutely no patience for listening to "My-grandma-walked-uphill-in-the-snow-to-cut-down-a-tree-with-her-bare-hands-and-carve-me-a-guitar" stories in the middle of an awards show. Won't we suffer enough when the Olympics start on Friday?

HIT
Jay-Z with Linkin Park. This was a match made in performance heaven. Crisp delivery, excellent stage presence -- fantastic song. And how great that Paul McCartney got to join in the fun as "Yesterday" ended the medley.
MISS
The Jamie Foxx/Kanye West spectacle. I'm all for over-the-top productions. I'll even admit to liking the occasional pyrotechnics. But thrusting "drum majors" followed by gold, bikini-clad "cheerleaders" and an unimaginable dose of ego? The performance should never bury the music -- and unfortunately, this one did.

HIT
Sloppy camera work. Okay, this should technically be in the "miss" category, but I can't help but enjoy it when I see other people getting lazy at work. Without the poor direction of this show, I'd never have seen Danny Lanois chewing gum over the shoulder of Jamie Foxx. Or been able to read the teleprompter flashing blue for Kelly Clarkson to shut her piehole as her speech lingered on past the limit. Never has half-assed been so much fun.
MISS
Bad hair, worse fashion. The too-blonde tresses of Kelly Clarkson, Madonna with her Farrah Fawcett bangs and Beyonce-dream-of-Jeannie are all reasons to fire stylists. Jennifer Love-Hewitt looked like she belonged on Laugh-In, Kanye West was apparently trying to bring back the fad of recreational gloves and the companion of John Legend (who got more air time than some of the nominees) looked like a walking fire hydrant. Where's Boy George when you need him?

HIT
Bono mentioning Achtung Baby losing Album of the Year...again. That one must have really stung for him to keep bringing it up, but good for him. I don't want him to get over it. They were robbed. And for good measure he brought up All That You Can't Leave Behind, too (in case we forgot). Did I mention I love Bono? Thank God they won.
MISS
Larry Mullen Jr. getting cut off during the acceptance speech. HE STARTED THE BAND. He deserves to bleedin' talk! How dare they? All of the booing that came from the audience when this happened was absolutely justified. Producers: show some respect. And Larry, if you'd like to finish what you had prepared, by all means let me know. I'll be happy to post it on your behalf. And if you'd like to join me for dinner...

HIT
The tribute to New Orleans music. An elegant blend of talent, diverse in musical background and in race, delivering a genuine message. And Edge's Music Rising shirt was a nice touch.
MISS
The broadcast cutting off the final jam. Is CBS really hurting that badly for money? Oh, I guess maybe they are. Survivor: Appalachia, here they come.

No comments: