Thursday, November 30

Immortal

Remember Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow? Neither did I. But I learned that one of its key inspirations was Immortal, one of the few movies to use real actors against a complete world of CGI blue screens. The human actors are few. Most of the other characters look like videogame characters or robots or aliens. (Most of them are those things, I guess.)

Immortal takes place in 2095 in some strange society inhabited by humans, aliens, clones, machines and - yes - Greek Gods. The premise is that one of the gods that created humans comes back to Earth to have a son (Jesus, anyone?). It's almost entirely computer animated and quite a beautiful movie. And you can tell it's not really American (even though it mostly takes place in NYC). In fact, it kind of now reminds me of the Fifth Element, but much more fatalistic and filmed way more realistically.

I think you're not supposed to be sober when you watch this. And I don't recommend watching it sober. It's odd. But strangely hypnotic and intriguing. It's a good late night / rainy day movie. Check it out if it's your thang.

No comments: