Tuesday, November 15

Rent

I remember sitting in the front row of the balcony in NYC seeing the original cast of Rent. Must've been back in 1996 or maybe 1997. It was so loud and the music was so much edgier than it came across on the watered-down cast recording. It was one of the few times that I went to the theater and felt like I was at a rock show.

The movie is not getting good buzz. It looks like the producers chose the absolute worst director for the job: Christopher Columbus. Christopher "Home Alone Mrs. Doubtfire Nine Months Step Mom Bicentenial Man" Columbus. Which of those movies indicates that this guy should direct a movie about gay and straight bohemians living with AIDS and drug addiction in the slums of NYC?

Exactly. I might see this movie next Monday. I hear it's kind of an embarassment to watch. That's what I've been dreading.

No comments: