Tuesday, October 19

My new favorite hipster singer

My new favorite hipster singer

Ok, so last weekend I ventured out of the city to go see a guy play at
a coffee house in Vienna, Va. I anticipated sitting through a set of
painfully bad, quasi-Dave Mathews frat rock, and while I do enjoy DMB
when I'm reminiscing about my own fraternity days, this particular
evening I was not in the mood. Anyhow, I was delightfully surprised
when I walked into the coffee shop and heard some really great music.
The man: Teitur. For those of you who are familiar with John Mayer's
column in Esquire Magazine, you will know that Mr. Mayer has deemed
Teitur's new album, Poetry and Aeroplanes, as a must listen. The
music is beautiful, simple, and original. Teitur plays the piano, the
guitar, and this crazy accordion thing. The music isn't as poppy as
John Mayer, but not as musically complex as Coldplay. Yes, I'm doing
a shitty job of description, so just go to iTunes, or Amazon and get
the album. I will say this though: you won't play this album at a
party, but when you're drinking a chai latte at Starbucks, reading
Dwell magazine, you'll be spinning this on your ipod.

No comments: