Sunday, November 21

On Top Of The World with Van Halen

Saw Van Halen in concert recently. My ears rang for nearly a week but damn, it was worth it! Sat in the front row, just to the left of the stage. Got to see Sammy, Eddie, Alex and Michael Anthony up close and personal. Let me say though, Eddie looks like he could keel over dead at any given moment. The man's heart has got to be a ticking time bomb. He's still smoking. Tsk! I'm also not sure about his current hair-do. When the band came onstage, before the lights came up, we could see this shadowy figure that resembled a very skinny Grinch. Once the lights were up we realized it was Eddie with this odd pony-tail thing similar to Pebbles from the Flintstones. I don't get it and no one else we were with did either.

All fashion and health comments aside, I must say these guys still kick ass. Each of them had time doing a solo thing on stage and they were amazing, especially Eddie's guitar playing and Alex on the drums. At one point during Eddie's guitar solo, he stopped and said, "You guys having fun out there?" To which everyone started screaming in response. He then said, "Good, cuz I'm havin a great fucking time up here." At the end of his solo, Eddie thanked the crowd and was in tears over the response he got by the audience. Sammy signed autographs on people's shirts throughout the entire concert (they would throw them up to him and he'd sign and toss back) and seemed almost humbled by it all. After the concert, me and the others wondered if this might be VH's last hurrah.

Whatever happens to VH, I'm happy to say that I got to see them in concert and hear all the great songs from over the years. I don't know how much longer they'll be touring or where they'll be, but I'd recommend seeing them if you get a chance.

Oh and in case you wondered, the latest news on David Lee Roth is that he's studying to be a paramedic. Interesting.

No comments: