Thursday, April 20

10 Reasons to Change the Channel

Okay, there are way more then ten... via Cynthia's Cynopsis.

Obnoxious laugh tracks.
Athlete after a big win: "I'd like to thank the Lord for giving me the strength..." Just ONCE I'd like to hear the loser blame the Lord.
"You've been a fantastic audience."
The word "humongous." The ultimate: "A humongous gathering of happy campers."
George W. Bush.
Local car dealer spots featuring a guy shouting at the top of his lungs as fast as he can about the huge closeout sale this weekend only
No matter how much fun a spot might have originally been to listen to, after about 100 times it makes me want to run screaming.
The phrase "the most unique…".
Whenever both ABC and Bravo do "coming up next" clips on their reality programming--I am watching the show--don’t ruin the rest of it for me.
Ego Shots - the cutaway shot to the anchor/reporter/interviewer
Poor linguistic/speaking skills - You're an actor -- could you act like English is your native language.
Screaming - never sounds good.
Giggling Journalists (sorry CBS).
"Experts" or theoretical expert with little to no practical experience.
Celebrity Endorsements - as if Jessica Simpson eats Pizza Hut.
Anytime a network promo or movie trailer exhorts me to "Get Ready" (As in "Get ready fir the biggest night in television" or "Get ready to
root for the bad guy!"). What should I do to prepare; new clothes? food and water?
"Shocking" when applied to anything on reality television, (as in, "the most shocking elimination yet"). Unless someone is going to brandish a gun or blow up Donald Trump's hair, I doubt I'm going to be that shocked.
"Amazing" - The first walk on the moon was amazing. A cure for cancer would be amazing. A pretty Oscar gown is, well, just pretty.
"I totally agree with you" is the sister of “you’re exactly right.” Redundant and who cares?
Interviewers cutting off their guests.
Sitcom plots where a main character does something uncomfortably stupid, only to be caught by the other lead character.
"The fact of the matter is..." who's fact?
"With all due respect..." means I think you're full of s*%#!
"It is what it is." Well put.
Any time a news program “reports” programming on its network as a news item, i.e. “earlier tonight on “American Idol.”
Any time news anchors start spouting their opinions
Any time I catch the scent of an over-hyped, alarmist sweeps period story.
Animated bug (or similar device) with audio promoting a future program.
News stories treating the activities of celebrities as news.
When news stories air that are updates of old stories with no recent developments, i.e. the never-ending coverage of the Alabama teen who disappeared in Aruba. Reminiscent of the old SNL news skit that Generalissimo Francisco Franco was still dead.
Meaningless live shots from indeterminable locations that do nothing to aid in the storytelling.
Trying to find better commercials!!!
and lastly:
Forget all that - I recently cancelled my cable all together and am now watching nearly all of my favorite shows a la carte via iTunes. I love it. No commercials - no need for a dvr. I just connect my laptop to my TV and Stereo and viola...I've got tv when I want it. It's also great for my budget.

No comments: