Thursday, December 4

The only thing lamer than the Grammies is their website

Record of the Year (I've finally learned that this means best recording of a song):
Chasing Pavements - Adele
Viva La Vida -Coldplay
Bleeding Love - Leona Lewis
Paper Planes - M.I.A
Please Read The Letter - Robert Plant & Alison Kraus

Okay... not awful but very mainstream.

Album of the Year
Viva La Vida Or Death And All His Friends - Coldplay
Tha Carter III - Lil Wayne
Year Of The Gentleman - Ne-Yo
Raising Sand - Robert Plant & Alison Krauss
In Rainbows - Radiohead

Quite honestly, I think Radiohead and Coldplay are the only ones deserving here. I still maintain that if it weren't "Coldplay" (and all the baggage that came with them), people would've been very impressed with their album. Imagine if it were their "first album." This is Radiohead's best album. But what about Beck, Sigur Ros, My Morning Jacket, Panic at the Disco, Hot Chip, Does It Offend You Yeah?, Black Mountain, Black Keys? Those are all better than Coldplay and certainly the other three non-Radiohead nominees. I'm probably forgetting about 25 other albums that rocked the joint.

Best New Artist
If the Jonas Bros are nominated, this is crap. Yeah, they're nominated.

The only other two I really care about:

Best Rock Album
Viva La Vida Or Death And All His Friends - Coldplay
Rock N Roll Jesus - Kid Rock
Only By The Night - Kings Of Leon
Death Magnetic - Metallica
Consolers Of The Lonely - The Raconteurs

Kid Rock?

Best Alternative Music Album
Modern Guilt - Beck
Narrow Stairs - Death Cab For Cutie
The Odd Couple - Gnarls Barkley
Evil Urges - My Morning Jacket
In Rainbows - Radiohead

When my favorite albums are all in lower categories, I know this awards show just isn't for me.

No comments: